Sunday, February 8, 2009

Push



Hey Kids!

I just saw "Push" a new movie that is definitely for the x-men fan crowd. It stars the hot Chris Evans and deliciously sexy Djimon Hounson and little Dakota Fanning, who is growing up on us. Now I don't know about you but I love movies like this. I am all for supernatural type films. When I first saw the trailer for this I was so excited to see it. Unfortunately it was a little bit of a let down. I walked away from the movie thinking "that could have been way better then what it was".

The setting of the film takes place in one of my favorite cities...Hong Kong. The shots of the city are wonderful. You might as well call Hong Kong one of the stars of the movie. Hong Kong, I miss it so much. It is such a wonderful place. This movie reminded me of just how much I miss being there. I need to plan a return trip soon to visit my foreign home.

The acting was OK. Little Dakota is starting to come into her own. I mean she had like 100 movies come out in the past two years. Like Caroline from weseemovies.com said "I wish she would give me like 7% of her money". And FYI little Dakota is now in High School and a public school at that. She is a cheerleader for the school. Where she finds the time to make all those movies, cheer and just be a high school kid is beyond me. But hey at least she is trying to have some kind of normalcy in her life. I mean let's face it, she will be famous for the rest of her life. Even if she doesn't make another movie. Chris Evans, who is one of my favorite actors (I have been a fan ever since I saw him in Not Another Teen Movie in his whip cream sundae suit. And he is even hotter in the Fantastic Four movies), does a decent job as Nick the star of the movie. He and Dakota's characters are second generation special skilled humans. Chris is called a mover, he basically has telekinetic powers. Dakota is called a Watcher, she can see the future. They are trying to rescue this girl (who turns out to be Nick's love interest) and get a case that has some drug that enhances powers. They are being chased by Djimon Hounson's character who is a Pusher, he has telepathic powers. Now if you have seen Djimon in Amistad you know that he can "Push" me anytime!
He is the head in some government agency, called the Division (it is always our government that is behind something). He is accompanied or basically protected by Victor (Neil Jackson) who is a mover and in my opinion the only bad ass in the entire movie. I mean the man was stopping bullets with his power and throwing people at the same time! They have other abilities introduced in the movie. Like wipers, they can erase your memories. Screamers, they can burst your blood vessels and scatter stuff by yelling, YES THEY GOT ON MY LAST NERVES IN THE MOVIE. There are sniffers, who have enhanced tracking powers. Stitches, who are healers. And Shifters, they can transform the appearance of things. The incredibly handsome Cliff Curtis plays a shifter in the movie. I just kept thinking about the fun we would have if his character was real.

This movie reminded me of the first X-Men movie. I wanted so much to happen in the film that didn't. Like X-Men, it was introducing the characters and not allowing them to show their full potential, so that the sequel would be more appealing. I didn't really care for the first X-Men movie. Yeah I went and fought someone for free passes to see the screening. Yes during the screening they gave out t-shirts and I almost fall from the top row trying to catch a shirt (yes I got my shirt and still wear it to bed sometimes). But that is what I will do for a franchise that I absolutely love and have learned so much from (I hate to think of the depths I would sink to or the things I would do for the Harry Potter franchise). Push had some action scenes and did an OK job of introducing characters into the story line. But that seems like that is the only thing it was concerned about. The movie was very slow and drawn out and I think it could of cut probably 20 minutes of it to make it a lot better. Another similarity this film has to X-men is that it will probably have a kick ass sequel. The difference is that X-Men II:X-Men United was definitely going to happen because critics and most fans loved the first film. Push has not seem the same generosity from the critics. They have actually been tearing it up. But as we all know the box office is what determines sequels. I do hope they make one just so that I can see this movie reach its potential. Am I going to advise you to see this film? No not at all. Wait til it comes out on DVD! But if you like this type of genre then by all means go and support it.

~Verdict~

Two Snaps Down and a Congratulations to Djimon and Kimora Lee on expecting their first child together!

HATED IT!

No comments: