Monday, February 23, 2009

Fired Up

Hey Kids!

I will admit this week at theaters was slim pickens. Only one of the two movies that came out I was remotely interested in seeing was Fired Up. Now if you know me you know that I LLLLLOOOOOVVVEEEE the sport of cheerleading! Yes I said the sport! This movie was cute for what it was. It is about two little white boys who are football stars in their state and school and they have a reputation for being very good with the ladies. They decide to go to cheerleading camp instead of football camp to score as much cheer poo as they can. This movie is definitely for the teen audience. It is rated PG-13 and is made for that age group. College kids would enjoy this movie as well. But more so for middle and high school kids. Although it doesn't really send a good message out. The two main stars in the movie Nicholas D'Agosto, I recognized him from Heroes as Clair's love interest who could fly and Eric Christian Olsen, are cute enough for their roles but I was absolutely outraged by the fact that they are suppose to be football stars in their state! They are entirely too small at the positions that they play to be able to create any kind of stardom no matter how talented you are. Football is a mental game but it is also a physical game (My information comes from 13 years of hard experience!) and with a 150 pound quarterback and receiver you can bet that those two are not gonna be dominating the field in the state of Illinois. This was evident when they were having a scrimmage in the beginning of the movie and one of them tried to knock over another, much larger defender. I also had a hard time believing them to be the only two male cheerleaders on the squad. Yes they had nice tight toned bodies. But they did not come across as athletic to me. If this were in fact a true situation they would be tumblers on the squad and possibly back spots with female bases. There is no way that they would be able to left a girl in a single base extension. I did like the fact that they displayed during the scrimmage, before the movie got into the cheerleading aspect, that they did in fact know how to tumble. This movie kind of like a mixture of Bring it On and American Pie Band Camp! Now if you go expecting it to be even close to Bring it On you will be disappointed (I knew better as the other 3 Bring it Ons have sorely disappointed me). It seemed at some points the writers created their own cheer language. The extras in the movie that were playing cheerleaders at the camp where in fact the real deal. They looked, walked, and acted like real cheerleaders. They were athletic and healthy looking and I was soo happy for that because body image is starting to become a more serious and dangerous issue among teenage girls and especially girls who are cheerleaders. I did appreciate that. However there is one part in the first couple seconds of them arriving at camp that bugged me. The main thing that pissed me off about this movie was the cookie cutter routines that the choreographer came up with for the different squads. I know the main squad is suppose to be worse than the everyone else at camp but their routine was very basic and middle schoolish to me. And they tried too hard to make the best team stand out that they made mistakes and incorporated illegal stunts and tumbling for high school squads! I know it is just a movie and that is why they did it. But I need them to know that an inexperienced squad, that is lacking the proper coaching and guidance is probably going to try some of those moves and will either be eliminated from competition or worse someone will get hurt. Ok sorry I kind of tapped back into my old cheer coaching days. This is a cute movie and if you like cheerleading, go see it but if you are knowledgeable about cheerleading don't expect too much.


~Verdict~

Two thumbs up and I'm a COCKY BITCH!!!

No comments: