Saturday, March 7, 2009

Watchmen

Hey Kids!

OK so I saw the highly anticipated WATCHMEN...and I went and saw it at 3:20am Thursday night. I know you are probably wondering what in the hell were you doing at a movie theater at 3:20am in the morning. Well those of you that know I am a night owl (not like the nite owl from the movie) and the 12:01am was already sold out and I was dying to see this in IMAX! I love IMAX and anytime I get to see a movie there I jump at the opportunity. And the show was packed! It was very obvious that the majority of the people there are the true die hard fans. I was trying to get a sense of how they felt about the movie. But it seemed like they were all rushing out of the theater. I figured that they were hurrying because they may have to go to work or something. NO! They were rushing out because they had to go three hours without smoking. So I guess they had reached their limit. It was liking walking through a cloud when I exited the theater. I almost ran into a brush because visibility was extremely low.

This movie takes place in the 1980s in New York City. Apparently it is based on the best selling graphic novel of all time. I am not real big on graphic novels so I had never heard about "Watchmen" before. When I saw the first trailer for this film, I became extremely excited because I love a good superhero movie. WELL I was certainly surprised to find out that the characters (all but one) have no super powers...like at all. But what was so interesting (and a friend helped point this out) that they seemed to be able to beat up EVERYONE! So I will not ruin the movie for you I will just stop there.

This movie had a great story and is well made. I mean what do you expect from the director who made the movie "300". However it would have been a lot cooler if there was more than one super powered character. And he is basically naked the entire movie. I am not complaining about this, just letting you know. As a matter of fact there is a sex scene in the movie that is pretty hot as well. With that scene and the nicely animated meat one of the heroes was packing I left the theater extremely horny and in love with a blue man!

The action is good and gory! There is a nice cast in the film. Patrick Wilson, Jeffery Dean Morgan, Billy Crudup and Jackie Earle Haley being a few. I was so happy to see Jeffery Dean Morgan in this film. Although I wasn't too thrilled with the character he had to play. He seems to look like he has been doing some extra workouts in the weight room. Speaking of weight, Patrick Wilson, who plays Dan (Nite Owl II), gained 25 pounds for his role. He looked amazing to me. However, people who are familiar with the comic have mentioned that he wasn't big enough. The Nite Owl in the comic is suppose to be large and with a gut. He was just nicely solid. He it looked good on him. But then again I love a thick solid man. The women in this movie had very small and insignificant roles in the movie. It seemed to me that they were just there for eye candy and to be used for sex. It sounds very sexist but that is what I picked up. Apparently the author of the graphic novel isn't much of a fan of women. Some comic fans know him to be a British man who doesn't like women. I wonder what kind of sick mess he had to deal with in his childhood.

This is the type of movie that you are either going to like, love or hate it. I liked it and enjoyed watching it. The only reason I would watch it again would be to see my new Blue Man. If you enjoy action movies with a story line and plot this is all for you. If you enjoy watching some get chopped up on screen...again this is all for you! If you can handle a cock being thrown in your face several times throughout the movie..this is all for you...This is most definitely a film made for the fellas, so ladies do yourself a favor and take your man to see this movie. Especially if he took you to see any of the other chick flicks that have been out since the beginning of the year. The best thing about this movie for me (besides the male full frontal and rear nudity) was the fact that there wasn't really a love story. It was there but it didn't consume the movie.

~Verdict~

Like IT

Two snaps up and Dr. Manhattan I need you to make a house call!

No comments: