Monday, December 21, 2009

The Blind Side




Hey Kids!


I finally saw The Blind Side. A friend of mine had been wanting to see it for a while so we went. Personally I wasn't interested in seeing this right away (I was gonna wait til video) but since I LOVE LOVE LOVE Sandra Bullock, I decided to give in and go see it. It is actually a good movie. The story of Michael Oher is very touching and is in deed a true heroic and uplifting story. But the movie does bring up several questions though. Why did the family decide to take him home that first night and was it really white quilt? Now for my one reader who may not know the story basically a wealthy family decides to offer shelter to a big (and I mean BIG) teenager who goes to their children's private school. It just so happens that the family is white and the teenager is black. I loved how the actors showed how strong each of the main characters are. Michael (played by Quinton Aaron) is the strong and respectable silent type (he reminds me of myself) and Leigh Ann tuohy (Played by Sandra Bullock) is the strong vocal and FIERCE type. The guy who plays Michael Oher does a decent job of acting, especially for his first major role but I wanted more from him. And if you look at him in this movie and look at a picture of him now it is extremely evident that Hollywood has decided to embrace him and give him a makeover.



The movie is really good, it is well made and flows well. However, educators be warned this will remind of you some of your students. I had a good discussion/argument with my friend (who is not an educator) about the whole white guilt situation. I personally do not think that that was the reason that the Tuohy's decided to extend a helping hand. I know plenty of individuals who are different races than black who would have offered to help in that situation if they could. I myself remember teaching several students who I would have loved to rescued from the streets or their current situations but I couldn't because of finances and fear of losing my job. Now am I saying that myself or some of these other people would do the whole adoption and everything no. I am simply saying that we would offer them a place to stay, clean clothes and a hot meal for at least a day or two while trying to find them suitable accommodations. The reason Michael ended up with this family is because he touched this family (mainly Leigh Ann) and taught them about themselves and from that grew love and affection. I am sure that the real Michael Oher knows how blessed, special or lucky he is to have his situation end the way it did. I am also certain that he is grateful and appreciative of it as well, which has made me a fan of his and I am going to invest in his jersey soon when I get some money (whenever that will be...lol). I could go on and on about this movie and the subject it is about (any truly dedicated, caring and master educator could). But I am going to stop here and just say if you are looking for a nice feel good movie than this is the one for you. I can't say that you have to run out and see this at the theater because you will get the same experience from watching at home on the plasma eating microwave popcorn.

TWO SNAPS UP AND MICHAEL OHER CALL ME (THE REAL ONE AND THE FICTIONAL ONE)


LIKED IT!

No comments: